Annually, the Sheriff’s Protective Association awards eight scholarships to sons and daughters of SPA members. The following are the requirements and guidelines that must be completed by applicants:
- Applicant must be the son or daughter of: a current SPA member in good standing and who has been a member for at least one year prior to application date; retired SPA member; or an SPA member who has passed away.
- Applicant must enroll for a minimum of twelve (12) credits in an accredited college or university in the State of Nevada within one year of high school graduation date.
- Applicant must have maintained at least a 2.5 grade point average through high school.
- Will submit an application from the SPA website.
- Obtain a certified copy of the official High School transcript, including a GPA Summary. (Usually available from High School Counseling Office.) This must include the first semester of the child’s senior year.
- Obtain a letter of recommendation and probable success in a college environment from your counselor or high school principal.
- Prepare a letter to the SPA Scholarship Committee on why you wish to attend college and outline your goals in life. The letter shall be a minimum of one typewritten page, double-spaced, a maximum of two pages.
- Submit the above to the Sheriff’s Protective Association scholarship committee before 3pm on April 29th, 2020. Letter from student and letter of recommendation can be attached to the on-line application.
- Additional Information:
- Scholarship winners will be notified prior to May 1st.
- All decision of the scholarship committee will be final.
- Alternate winners may be picked by the scholarship committee and the scholarship may be awarded to the alternates in the event any of the original winners cannot (or decide not) to accept their scholarship.
- Winners must submit a copy of the tuition receipt to the SPA Treasurer for reimbursement before or within one week of the beginning of the school semester or it shall be deemed that they do not wish their scholarship.